Build Responsibly

Flood Hazard Information

If your property is located in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), the area expected to flood during a 100-year storm event, you must build according to Section 37 (Floodplain District) and 42 (Floodplain District Use and Development) of the Hull Zoning Bylaw. The Town of Hull's current Zoning Bylaws can be viewed here.

Tips for savings and safety, from building responsibly, can be viewed here.

If you have any questions about building, or need to acquire a permit, the Town of Hull's Building Department information can be found here or by calling (781) 925-1330.

Many projects in a flood zone will require a permit from the Building Department and/or the Conservation Commission, or both. If you suspect unpermitted activity, contact the Town.

Building Department: The Building Department enforces state and local regulations that protect the public by requiring safe construction. The Town of Hull has additional requirements to ensure maximum flood protection in the 100-year floodplain.

The Building Department also enforces the federal "substantial improvement" requirement. Floodplain building additions, improvements and repairs that equal or exceed 50% of the value of the existing building must meet the same requirements as new buildings. Substantially improved or substantially damaged residential building must be elevated to or above the base flood elevation.

Before undertaking any construction projects on your property, contact the Building Department at (781) 925-1330 to find out what permits you will need.

Conservation Commission: The Conservation Commission enforces the state Wetlands Protection Act.

Our coastal banks, dunes, beaches, salt marshes, and other wetland areas, serve an important flood protection function. They protect our homes by absorbing much of the brunt of coastal storms. Even unpaved yards and driveways protect against storm damage by slowing the velocity of flooding and allowing floodwaters to enter the ground.

The Wetlands Protection Act (WPA) protects these natural resources. The WPA applies to all properties in the 100-year floodplain. If you are considering work on your property that will require any digging, filling, grading or otherwise disturbing of the ground, contact the Conservation Department first, at (781) 925-8102, to determine if you will need a permit.