

# Minutes for Hull CPC Meeting: 12/5/22

---

## Call to Order

A Hull Community Preservation Committee Public Forum was held remotely on Monday, Dec 5, 2022. It was called to order at 6:30 p.m. by CPC Chair Rachel Gilroy.

*(This meeting is being held remotely via Zoom as an alternate means of public access pursuant to an order issued by the Governor of Massachusetts dated March 12, 2020 suspending Certain Provisions of the Open Meeting Law. You are hereby advised that this meeting and all communications during this meeting may be recorded by the Town of Hull in accordance with the Open Meeting Law.)*

## Committee Attendees

- |                                     |                             |                         |
|-------------------------------------|-----------------------------|-------------------------|
| ➤ Tammy Best                        | ➤ Jim Ianiri                | <b>Unable to Attend</b> |
| ➤ Rachel Gilroy, Chair              | ➤ Nathan Peyton, Vice Chair | ➤ Greg Grey             |
| ➤ Carol Costello, CPC Administrator | ➤ Jim Richman               |                         |
|                                     | ➤ Dennis Riley              |                         |

Other Attendees: Jason McCann, Christopher Diiorio and Carol Britton Meyer.

Chair Gilroy called the meeting to order at 6:34pm. Meeting is recorded

## AGENDA *(Meeting will be conducted by remote participation)*

- CPC Project Liaisons report on CPA applications/projects
- Approval of minutes from CPC Meeting held on 11.14.22
- Review CPA Budget
- Review and approve any outstanding invoices
- Review any updates on prior CPA grants/projects
- Adjourn

**Jim I:** Welcomed Jason McCann to address any questions the board may have on the Carousel application.

**Jason:** Jason McCann 53 Highland Ave, board member of Friends of Carousel. Nothing has changed.

**Nathan:** update on land lease, where does it stand? what about the land lease?

**Jason:** it is on-going original lease is 1991. Lease just for the land, the carousel owns the shelter, DCR interim until Healy is on board, maybe more info in the new year.

**Nathan:** will the lease be renewed when the new administration takes over?

**Jason:** The town has been working with a new liaison to connect property to the Beach. Hopefully we will find out more in the new year.

**Jim R:** When is the actual lease up?

**Jason:** Last time it was signed was 2001. We need to sign a new lease. We own the building the lease is just for the property the carousel is sitting on. If DCR gave a notice, that we have to leave, they can't keep the carousel.

Application suggests 2016 tenant at will. No indication that anything will change any time soon.

Carousel has been in business since 1985.

Nathan: Reminder of Jim R. previous question on glaze of windows in prior grant received.

Jason: The prior grant only covered the stucco restoration. The window glazing didn't happen due to an increase in costs at the time. We plan to restore the windows as historically accurate as we can.

?Jim R: where did the other funds go ...

Jason: 2019 66K removal and restoration, we had to repair the walls,\$20K over run ...

Jim I: Added he would try and track down some emails from that time period where CPC was informed of the increase in cost and change in scope to the previous project.

*6:40pm Jason wraps up -- all set no further questions*

**VOTE:** Jim I. made a motion to approve minutes as amended, 2<sup>nd</sup> by Nathan

No additional discussion/unanimously passed (*Jim R abstained, Tammy, Dennis abstained, Jim I, Nathan and Rachel*)

- *Rachel will make corrections; Carol will have the minutes posted to the website.*

*Christopher Diiorio joined 6:57pm*

#### **Review/Approve Outstanding Invoice**

Chair Gilroy reviewed the invoice submitted by Carol Costello for CPA Administrator services for the past month.

**VOTE:** Jim R. made a motion to approve invoice for Carol Costello's services; Invoice dates 12/5/22; 2<sup>nd</sup> Dennis, no additional discussion/unanimously passed (*Tammy, Nathan, Dennis, Jim I, Jim R, and Rachel*)

- *Carol will send off to Mike Buckley for payment*

*7:03pm Chris audio worked*

Rachel starts with the playground ones:

#### **Hampton Circle**

**Chris:** we are putting together proposal; ADA access, we were planning to put in wood chips, we had a meeting with MEPA last week, and what happens with wood chips and floating, it would be better to put pour in place surfacing so things wouldn't float away, we made an estimate to do that ... a little bit more, pour in place. Was \$70K now requesting \$99K

Total Cost of \$306K playground, design, permitting

**Jim R:** this is what the community wanted.?

Chris: yes, and they wanted the swing set, we put it in as an alternate.

I understand the financial issues. That is going to be revised request

**Nathan:** What is pour in place materials?

**Rachel:** It's made from recycled rubber tires. It's required for impact absorption in play areas in fall zones.

**Rachel:** What organization required that? Is it environmentally safe given the flooding?

**Chris:** DEP, we need to go thru MEPA on this, it's not a requirement, it's an environmental review.

It's actually in an area of critical concern. They said it would be a good use in this area. They are not requiring they brought it up. We recommended to go that way, more expensive.

**Dennis:** life span?

**Chris:** 20 years with guarantees

**Jim R:** does the warranty void once saltwater hits it. It is a flood zone; you are not raising this park. This stuff is going to sit under water for days. Once the structure is sitting under water, is the warranty going away?

**Chris:** that is a good question on warranty, I'll check on that. I'll get revised number to CPC next week.

**Nathan:** it seems like we have ended the design review process, correct (yes), we now have a final budget on this project. In order to avoid slowing it down, are there other things that are not on the MEPA checklist, can this be part of a future project. Get everything on MEPA checklist and just add to the project. Is there a bike rack.

**Chris:** we have the swing set as an alternative \$37K if it comes in over price, then we will take swing set out. The landscaping is for MEPA, a chunk of \$ would be swing set to go.

**Jim R.** does the community really want the swing set.

**Chris:** it was a request, they want it. We want to do it nice and right the first time.

Trying to send them out together out to bid Jan/Feb, order in for both play structures that is a 4–5-month lead; hopefully in the spring to start construction. My goal by next summer.

Green Hill/Gunrock and Hampton Circle in the spring together. We have \$ for Gunrock to do the whole thing, we're just waiting for this one, as soon as we clear permitting with ConCom we will be good to go.

Any other questions 7:18pm, none

**L Street Tennis and playground,**

Chris: everything the same, none of those are construction.

**Shade structure,** everything is fine:

**Firehouse update:**

**Chris:** I was out there with Chief and building inspector and estimate that we have; some work has been done ... knock off list, they did a kitchen and bathroom on 1<sup>st</sup> floor.

Upstairs, bathroom, we decided not to do that work, that will save \$\$, we can take design cost in that original budget. Knock almost \$400K off that. \$1.5MM -- Public access to it, maybe do something out back.

**Rachel:** did they look into variance because it's historical?

**Chris:** as far as construction to see if we can get people up there. not something we're looking into. putting elevator, not that big of spot. Talking about moving stuff to library and have a museum there. It doesn't make sense with people coming and going there. it would be storage for the fire department.

**Chris:** a lot of focus on CPA funds preserving the building, not doing much of fire department improvements. The work will generally get it back to historical accurate building.

**Jim R:** CPA town should be fixing, why are you using CPA funds, you have not access to it. How is this historic?

**Chris:** it's a historic building. It's an opportunity to fix this building. I think it's a good request. If it's not fixed up not sure what will happen to it.

**Rachel:** shared the Debt Service Schedule that Mike Buckley provided.

**Nathan:** Is this part of the economic development strategy? It doesn't seem like it is a community asset. Why this collection of funds? It looks like just a fire department life and safety investment, is this the right funds for it? If it's a Life and safety investment, go for grants for that. And put a fully functioning fire department for that area down there. Or make sure this is part of the tour and we invest in it for the community. I feel like so many little efforts making this a historical building; anything that gives it public value. We promised quality of life investments that otherwise go uninvested. I realize what you are saying Chris, so little effort has been giving to this CPC, nothing has been giving back on this.

**Chris:** in my opinion, historic buildings in town, CPA is about historic restoration. Making the public more aware of the importance of this building. To let it deteriorate any further, we are not building a station, it's when storms come in, the importance is the building itself and importance to the town. Historic preservation, a historic preservation.

**Dennis:** the historic commission does support that, can we make the top floor more accessible as an important meeting house. We need an elevator, correct. The Historical Commissions are only concerned with the exterior appearance of the building and structural integrity. No exterior changes, so no exterior elevator. As for ADA, the Architectural Access Board should be consulted for a variance/

**Chris:** over a million to put the elevator there. it would affect the historic look of the building.

If we can get this variance, it would be great, I just don't think it would be possible. Last time potentially do tours, go to the tower or park, etc. other groups can get involved with.

**Jim R:** who will take care of the building after it is fixed?

**Chris:** it would be the fire department, the town.

**Dennis:** have you looked at a glass tube elevator?

**Chris:** we talked about doing something when people are ice skating. Maybe we could do tours, that would be further down the road.

**Dennis:** fix the building

**Rachel:** just as a committee I think we would like to see the building to have access to the public

**Nathan:** think more creatively, public access different, maybe series of programing; during winter, top floor will have historic documents, we will bring them out. I think you would have to explain how there is value beyond just a fire station. Be creative, program it out and explain it out. I have a hard time going behind it not a lot of effort on this.

**Rachel:** you were working on the breakdown on cost.

**Chris:** things that didn't need to be done, exterior, foundation, systems of the building. Let me talk to Phil and see what we can do.

**Rachel:** if we would have this historical building restored, having signs, access to records that, if not having an elevator variance, this elevator to be such a big question.

**Jim R:** I have an issue with the town coming to us, that they are not taking care of their buildings.

**Dennis:** just the outside needs to follow historic restorations procedure. You might be able to get a variance if you can proove no elevator can go inside. Do you know if windows and sashes are originals?

**Chris:** I would have to double check on that. Let me speak with Phil and Fire Chief and see if we get more information. We need to get design done before looking at the variance.

**Rachel:** It would be helpful to have Phil and Mike B at next meeting if they support this project.

*7:47pm Chris leaves.*

**Tammy:** can we talk about timing, let's say we want to vote in February; we need to go to Advisory, what is the timeline on this?

**Rachel:** I would like to see a more detailed cost breakdown of line items

**Tammy:** it would be good to understand, the idea is emergency only; not a full-time fire station, is there a % of time they will need fire equipment there. maybe a % using the meeting room again. During the summer/spring I agree with you Nate there has not been enough thought on this building.

**Dennis:** I think they have an idea they have an ambulance there, they did talk about putting a full-time rescue vehicle there. Can we approve exterior for historic?

**Jim I:** This doesn't make sense.

**Rachel:** what is historical and what is fire safety. Doesn't feel like they are seeking other grants.

**Dennis:** if we try to combine with mass historical grants. It's a 1 to 1 grant match. The town has to make the application.

**Jim R:** why aren't they asking for this type of grant?

**Nathan:** I would like to go by line by line. Maybe we can get his cost down. It's our job, to do our best as the stewards of these dollars. I think a little more thought and creativity could make this a CPA application to be worth considering. We should have a conversation with the people in the town.

**Dennis:** I agree, there is a lot of history here and we need to take care of our historic structures.

**Nathan:** I see the value of preserving historic structure. Only 6 people get to enter it during the day and during the storms only. I think we can do better than that. To provide immediate value, if we can find a better source to help match to help.

**Dennis:** we should see the break down to see what is historical or not.

**Nathan:** we approved a historic door that is going on a building that is not being restored. That building public can go see; Lori has historic documents you can see. Current Town Hall

**Jim R:** are they looking into other grants, if they get money, they could leverage for more grants.

**Nathan:** can we go thru the Historic Commission what future needs would be.

**Carol:** I invited Mike Buckley, Town Accountant, to join the meeting tonight to review the CPA revenue. We also invited Phil Lemnios and/or BOS that would like to speak on behalf of the project; they declined due to short notice. Mike did initially accept the invite but did not show up tonight.

**Nathan:** tax base is going up ... value can retract out here.

**Jim R:** what happens if the Town doesn't vote to continue CPA, what happens to the bond?

**Rachel:** they need to come down for us discuss the project more.

### **Adjournment**

**VOTE:** Jim R. made a motion to adjourn at 8:13 pm; 2<sup>nd</sup> by Nathan (*Tammy, Dennis, Nathan, Jim R, Jim I, and Rachel*)

**Respectfully submitted by:** Carol Costello with edits by Rachel Gilroy

---

E n d